Today, 26th July is a day of victory – Kargil Vijay Diwas, named after the success of Operation Vijay. On this day, India successfully took command of the outposts which had been lost to Pakistani intruders. The infamous Kargil war was fought for more than 60 days – ended on this day, 26th July in 1999. We cleared Pakistani intruders from Kargil but suffered causalities as well. We lost the lives of many young, brave soldiers.
Remembering those soldiers and honoring the Kargil war heroes, Swipe brings to you some of the inspiration quotes by soldiers of Indian Army.
1. There will be no withdrawal without written orders and these orders shall never be issued.
– Field Marshal Sam Maneckshaw, as core commander in 1962
2. You have never lived until; You have almost died; And for those who choose to fight; Life has a special flavor, The protected will never know
-Capt R Subramanium Kirti Chakra (Posth)
3. If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gorkha.
– Field Marshal Manekshaw on the fearless military prowess of the Gorkhas.
4. Do not lament the death of a warrior killed in the battlefield. As those who sacrifice their lives in the war are honoured in heaven.
5. Written by Indian Army soldiers.
(meaning : “Indomitable, we are. Fearless, we are.”)
6. Only best of the friends and worst of the enemies visit us at Indian Army.
7. Quartered in snow, silent to remain. When the bugle calls, they shall rise and march again.
– The scroll of honour at the Siachen base camp
8. I will come back either after hoisting the flag or being wrapped in the flag
In the memory of all the soldiers who never returned home – say a prayer, light a candle and remember to honor them today and then, everyday. You can submit your views, ask questions and comment on various issues of India at Swipe.